Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Stretching only requires Time.

When it comes to stretching, you never abandon the basics. You build on them. There is no finish line that lets you know whether or not you have mastered something. There is always room for improvement. There is always that extra inch you can squeeze in (and boy do us us ladies know this)! So, essentially, the only main difference between a beginner and someone doing more advanced techniques is the *time* that has been put into stretching. If you would have asked me to do a back bend exactly a year ago, I would have just laid on the floor flat as a board. I have been training for ~9 months now, and I am still stretching all that has been accumulated since Day 1.

Such as the Cobra pose (pictured) to loosen up the back muscles. For me, this along with a few others I mentioned before is awesome for gaining flexibility in the lower back. It is a basic yoga pose, but an essential one, especially for those starting and those with back pain. There is not one session that I do without it. Basic stretches like the Cobra made something seemingly difficult like the back bend possible; and they are now helping in reaching my next goal: the chest stand.


My hamstrings stretching was not always this linear. It took *time* to get to where it is now. Flexibility does not happen overnight, so do not become discouraged if you find yourself incapable of pulling something you see in a picture or a video. Results can come in days, weeks and even months, depending on the pose and difficulty. And like I mentioned in the beginning, there is always room for growth for any pose.


The only true "hard" part is setting aside at least 15 minutes a day for stretching.

♥ Bambi